1. What did you do in 2016 that you’d never done before?
Voted for a woman for president of the United States.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Not really, and I don't think so. I've been pretty meh on resolutions the past couple years. I resolve to stay alive.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Mira! Julia! They both had super adorable baby boys and their babies are the best.
Many lovely internet ladies.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
A family friend passed away.
5. What countries did you visit?
Copying prior year answer:
None. The last time I left the country was when I visited my brother Duncan in Chile in 2005. I got my passport renewed the year a dear high school friend got married in Mexico (2008? 2009 maybe?) because I really WANTED to go to her wedding, but I was just too poor.
I hope I need it at least once before it expires.
And adding this: I am getting the boys passports this year. We don't have imminent travel plans, but with the Current State of the World, I feel it would be wise to have our documents in order.
6. What would you like to have in 2017 that you lacked in 2016?
I would like Quentin's worker's comp case to be resolved and settled in 2017 (it has been ongoing since 2014).
7. What dates from 2016 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
3/23/16 - Quentin got his guts put back together.
11/7/16 - the last good day.
11/8/16 - the start of a scary new chapter in our shared history.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I did my job well, with two kids at home, and one of those kids is a baby.
9. What was your biggest failure?
I feel like I did not do enough politically. Maybe if I had phone banked? MAYBE I SHOULD HAVE WORRIED MORE??
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
My year was not personally injurious.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
It seems like my answer every year is Gabriel, but he's seriously a great kid who handles some STUFF pretty well.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? Gabriel's dad, which is as usual/same old/same old. Although some of it was extra bad this year. Whatever, nothing surprising I guess.
14. Where did most of your money go?
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Julia's baby! Mira's baby! Getting out of town! Gabriel getting to spend time with his big sister!
16. What song will always remind you of 2016?
That mannequin challenge song (I don't actually know what it's called)
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Happier.
b) thinner or fatter? Slightly thinner, but on a fatness trajectory (because I'm pregnant!).
c) richer or poorer? About the same.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Sleeping. I'm running on a permanent sleep deficit.
I always wish I had done more socializing, but in the moment I never want to leave my house.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
On the one hand I hate pumping with the power of a one thousand burning suns, but on the other, I'm glad that I pumped until Everett was 11mos old. That seems pretty good. So IDK. I hated it, but now that it's over, I'm glad I did it.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
Gabriel was at his dad's house this year. Christmas Eve Gabriel got to open all of his presents, and then he went to the movies and roller skating and arcade with this cousins and uncle. We had dinner at my grandma's which is as usual. She's still doing great (she turned 90 on 12/27!). Gabe got picked up from there.
Christmas day my brothers were all in town. Visited my parents' house briefly in the morning, then went to my MIL's house for a few hours, then back home, then to my parents' house for dinner.
All in all, it was all very pleasant. Everett was a satisfying Christmas baby. I wish Gabriel had been here, but I wish that every other year.
21. Did you fall in love in 2016?
22. What was your favorite TV program?
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I don't know if hate is correct, but I have a lot of Big Feelings of hopelessness and disgust towards....a sizeable portion of the US population. I'm tired of hearing about how a bunch of people who voted for white supremacy aren't racists. Okay.....I know you don't like being TOLD that, but you are though.
24. What was the best book you read?
I just read several books. Reread Uprooted, which I got for Christmas in 2015. I LOVE it. It's a fantasy/fairy tale book, in case those things aren't your bag. If they ARE your bag, it's excellent.
Just read The Fifth Season, which I got for Christmas this year. It's very entertaining, I definitely want to read the next book in the series.
I am reading Underground Railroad (also a Christmas gift). It's....really good, but really just....upsetting to the core, also, because, y'know, the realities of slavery are extremely fucked up and terrible. The fabric this story is embroidered on is fundamentally depressing.
But it's good. And I don't feel like we learn enough about slavery as a stand alone historical THING. We learn about Abraham Lincoln and the Civil War, sure, but we don't learn about SLAVERY, really.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I came late to the Hamilton train, but I am happily aboard.
26. What did you want and get?
I dunno. Oh, a raise, which I successfully negotiated when I got back from maternity leave.
27. What did you want and not get?
I wish we had fewer ongoing house projects.
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
I took Gabriel to see Fantastic Beasts and where to Find Them and I just LOVED it.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 34. I was in San Diego with the family, on a quasi-vacation (a work conference that I dragged my family on). It was labor day!
30. What is one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
More time at home.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2016?
What can I wear to work that I can also pump in without getting naked?
32. What kept you sane?
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Eddie Redmayne! He might be his most attractive as The Dutch Girl. I dunno.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
This shitshow of an election, combined with motherfucking Russia, Turkey, the Middle East, North Korea, whatever the fuck China thinks it's doing, countries leaving the EU, the fragility of NATO, Operation Impending Doom 2.
35. Who did you miss?
I'm really sad that I haven't met my friend Molly's baby (who is Everett's age).
36. Who was the best new person you met?
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2016.
People don't care about doing the right thing. People would rather usher in nationalistic white supremacy than elect a woman as president.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Immigrants, they get the job done.
2009 - Apparently I didn't do it in 2009