1. What did you do in 2015 that you’d never done before?
Acupuncture. This has definitely been my year of alternative medicine. And I REALLY LOVE western medicine.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I didn't make any resolutions last year. This year I think my resolutions are going to be about number of times per week that I shower, and maybe about drinking enough water, but I haven't ironed them out yet.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Molly (one of my dearest friends).
My sister-in-law Casey.
That's the inner circle. Other people I KNOW gave birth.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
My mom's cousin Scott died of lung cancer in May, just after his 55th birthday, leaving behind his wife and two young sons. Here is where I tell you to PLEASE quit smoking.
5. What countries did you visit?
None. The last time I left the country was when I visited my brother Duncan in Chile in 2005. I got my passport renewed the year a dear high school friend got married in Mexico (2008? 2009 maybe?) because I really WANTED to go to her wedding, but I was just too poor.
I hope I need it at least once before it expires.
6. What would you like to have in 2016 that you lacked in 2015?
Sleep. Shoes that fit me. I would have liked to spend less time in the hospital, but I'm not sure how that fits into this question.
7. What dates from 2015 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
5/7/15 my nephew Baby Duncan was born
9/13/15 Molly's baby Sadie was born
9/20/15 was Everett's due date AND birthday
10/19/15 Quentin was admitted to the hospital (and 10/30/15 he was released)
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I had a baby which feels like a pretty big achievement.
Also, on the more achievementy side of things, I successfully managed a huge work project, and I applied and was hired for a management position at my company.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Definitely self care.
I also have regrets about not forcing Quentin to the doctor in June when he got really sick.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I had a baby, which does some legitimate damage. I had a lot of pregnancy related ailments (Sciatica, swelling, back problems, sleep problems, etc).
And it wasn't me, but my husband almost died. Which was....bad.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
I bought this fox rug which seriously fills me with joy when I look at it.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
I think that Gabriel has just been an incredible big brother.
I was amazed at how NICE and THERE FOR ME everyone was when Quentin was in the hospital. I mean, it makes sense, but it was still surprising. And uplifting.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? Gabriel's dad, which is as usual/same old/same old. My mom and sister went to NYC for a girls' trip when Quentin was in the hospital which was really upsetting to me. 2/3 of my brothers had their super disappointing moments.
14. Where did most of your money go?
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Everett! Sadie! My friend Julia got married! Gabriel got to hang out with his sister! Gabriel's sister visited us!
16. What song will always remind you of 2015?
Hello by Adele, but I think mainly because it came out towards the END of 2015, and Gabriel is always singing it, and then I've started answering the phone by singing it at people.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? I think overall happier.
b) thinner or fatter? FATTER.
c) richer or poorer? Poorer, but I hope to resolve that now that I'm back from maternity leave.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Sleeping, eating out, things you can't do with a baby. I wish I'd had more sex before my husband wound up with his (temporary!) colostomy bag, although I was super pregnant and not really in the mood. It's just a bummer now. Because my husband poops in a bag until March.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Angsting about things I can't change.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
It was our year for Gabriel at Christmas. The usual. Christmas Eve we do at my grandma's, then Christmas morning at our house, afternoon at Quentin's mom's, dinner at my parents'.
Quentin refused to partake in holiday festivities because of his shitbag situation, which was a bummer. He did end up coming to Christmas dinner though, which was nice.
21. Did you fall in love in 2015?
With Everett! He's a magic baby.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
No. I'm not big on hating people though.
24. What was the best book you read?
Greensleeves by Eloise Jarvis McGraw!
I just read it as part of a sort of online book club thing via Amy at angry chicken. McGraw wrote one of my favorite childhood books (Mara, Daughter of the Nile), and this one was also satisfying.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I'm not sure I made any. In fact, I know that I didn't. I used to pride myself on KNOWING MUSIC but I've been out of that scene for years.
26. What did you want and get?
A baby! A promotion!
27. What did you want and not get?
Quentin has our deck covered with STUFF and I have been begging him to clear it off for MONTHS and it makes me really angry every time I walk into my house, even though he has legitimate almost-dying type excuses for not doing it yet.
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
I went and saw Straight Outta Compton when I was a million months pregnant and it was horrifically hot and humid in Santa Cruz.
I went for the climate control, but I was actually super thoroughly entertained by the movie as well.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I was Too Pregnant. I went to lunch with my mom and sister and drank a cocktail, and my mom bought me a pair of earrings. Quentin made dinner at home. The next night, we went out to the movies (see above).
I turned 33.
30. What is one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Sleep, not feeling quite so swollen, maybe if my husband hadn't fallen apart, that would have been nice.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2015?
32. What kept you sane?
Quentin, when he's not making me crazy, is very good for my sanity.
I have a couple managers at work who are really top notch people.
Gabriel and Everett have both been enormously comforting.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
Black Lives Matter.
35. Who did you miss?
Molly, Duncan (and family), just most of my friends now that I think about it.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2015.
EVERYTHING can fall apart, and it might do it all at once!
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Hello, how are you? It's so typical of me to talk about myself I'm sorry.
2009 - Apparently I didn't do it in 2009