1. What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before?
Got a degree in accounting, drove on a field trip, took Gabriel on an airplane (took Gabriel on vacation), stayed with someone I had never met in real life prior to staying with them, started my new job.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
My new years resolutions were have more sex and make morally unambiguous choices.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
I have two adorable baby nieces born this year, Susannah and June.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
The United States of America.
6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
Money, time, whomp whomp.
7. What dates from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
July 22 - Susannah!
October 5 - June!
July 6 - My last day of classes EVER (I hope).
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Master's degree 2.0, got the job I wanted, passed 3 of my 4 CPA exams.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Failing 1 of my 4 CPA exams, feeling like a shitty friend, having a lot of bad things happen to my people, discovering panic attacks.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I went off an anxiety cliff in August based on various THINGS.
And I got the flu. The real INFLUENZA flu.
I thought I was going to die.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Gabey! I know he's mine and I'm biased but he really is an excellent child. Even though he's also a brat. We've had a lot of big changes this year and I'm working long hours and he's just been wonderful.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Various people who it turns out are all woman-blamey when it comes to assault.
This douchebag who dicked around one of my friends and then went on a weird anti-me campaign.
A couple guys who were dicks to me.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Living my life or whatever.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
East coast visit! Reading Gabriel chapter books, how much Gabriel loves reading, Hawaii, graduating, paychecks, NIECES.
16. What song will always remind you of 2012?
Some combination of Carly Rae Jepson and Drake.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Happier, I think. Maybe about the same feelings-wise but on an overall happiness trajectory.
b) thinner or fatter? Thinner? I'm not sure. I think I'm actually the same but I feel a lot better about my body.
c) richer or poorer? Richer, but only in that I have an income.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
20. How did you spend Christmas?
(I originally filled out this survey in an email for my friend Molly. This response was EDITED).
21. Did you fall in love in 2012?
22. What was your favorite TV program?
Girls, Game of Thrones, and I'm totally late to the party but I just recently discovered and am in love with The League.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I have made some strong FEELINGS RE-ALLIANCES, yes.
24. What was the best book you read?
The sequel to Daughter of Smoke and Bone, the name of which I cannot remember.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
The Avett Brothers
26. What did you want and get?
A job, a degree.
27. What did you want and not get?
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
The Hunger Games or The Batman movie, which I'm pretty sure are the only two films I SAW this year.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 30. I worked, it was a Wednesday. My mom made me dinner. Boring, boring.
30. What is one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012?
32. What kept you sane?
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I dunno. Anderson Cooper?
Random fact: I JUST THIS WEEK discovered that Channing Tatum is a guy? I mean, I hadn't really tried to find out or looked at a picture or anything but my eyes happened to be on the television when someone said his name and it was like...whoa. I have been hearing that name all year and just been operating on the ASSUMPTION that we were all talking about a lady.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
The election, particularly watching all election coverage on Fox News. OMG.
35. Who did you miss?
My friends. Gabriel.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
I have some pretty epically good new coworkers.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012.
My friends put up with me, so they must really love me.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
So, I gathered up my savvy
Bought myself a business suit